What Is Implant Surgery?
Implant surgery is an advanced technique to replace missing teeth without utilizing a removable restoration. Dental Implants are by far the best, most durable replacements for missing natural teeth in the oral cavity.
About Dental Implants
You can think of implants as very strong titanium screws that are placed into the jaw bone to replace missing teeth. The implant is analogous to a root of a tooth. The implant will integrate with the underlying bone over a period of several months. When a certain stability has been reached, the implant can be used as a platform to build restorations. These can be single crowns, bridges, dentures, or hybrid restorations.
Advantages of Implant Surgery
There is no other treatment in dentistry that supersedes the results of dental implants for the replacement of missing natural teeth. There are a number of reasons as to why:
- Unlike dentures and bridges, implants replace the full tooth i.e., the crown as well as the root portion.
- By effectively replacing the root, implants preserve the jaw bone, thus maintaining its strength and structure
- Dental implants also maintain the tone and firmness of the facial muscles, preventing them from sagging. Multiple missing teeth in the oral cavity can cause facial muscles to lose integrity, and sag, thus bringing on early signs of aging.
- Implants ensure flawless restoration of dental function, speech, and smile aesthetics.
- Implants can also be used to retain complete dentures in the oral cavity for edentulous patients.
If you have a single missing tooth, or multiple missing teeth in your mouth, and you are looking for the best way to replace them, give us a call today! Dr. Novy can discuss all facets of implant dentistry and has extensive experience in this field.